Saturday, November 29, 2008

There's a toddler in the house!





Today we decided to  get our Christmas tree, and in the mean time I got a little Christmas spirit.   Here are a few pictures.
This year is Piper's second Christmas, and Angie and I are really looking forward to sharing and enjoying this beautiful season with our sweet little girl.   She was only a few months old last time around and of course had no idea how much fun it all is.  
      Last year on Christmas morning, she kind of just sat there while Ang and I exchanged our gifts, and wasn't offended in the least that her stocking was completely empty.    (I think in 2007 Santa brought infant diapers and formula)

In fact, I don't think that it will be until next year or the year after that it will all make sense with the  realization of Santa Claus, and his eight tiny reindeer, or  for her first time, hearing the true story of baby Jesus in the manger, and the real miracle that is Christmas.

This year should be a lot of fun though. 
I think that Christmas 2008 will go down in our family lore as the "Christmas of Destruction" as that Piper is highly skilled at breaking stuff! 

Every time you turn around she wants to smash an iPod or throw a new digital camera down the stairs.  I have a stack of important Church papers that always end up in her clutches, torn, slobbered on and strangely smelling like bananas.  So... with Christmas just a few weeks away I don't think that fragile ornaments on the tree, or beautifully wrapped packages stand a chance against the lovable whirlwind that we call Piper.

Having a genuine toddler around has been one of the funnest things that I have ever experienced.  Every day is such a new adventure for her. It seems like she never gets tired of Dad giving her a bubble bath after a fun game of "Throw the spaghetti sauce on the carpet" or Momma reading her stories, Grandma giving her loves and kisses, Riding on daddy's shoulders, or pitching my steel toed work boots at the new TV set
One of Piper's special talents is that she speaks her own foreign language that nobody can understand but her. What a vocabulary! If only we had a clue as to what she is saying.   Although, I have recently deciphered some of her words.... 
  tinkeebobo = I just messed my diaper Dad, would you mind taking care of it for me.
  Money Money Money  = Will you please play the "Finding Nemo" dvd 
                             (She says money in place of nemo)  (and she may be dyslexic)
Anyway, we have a lot of fun times to look forward to in the next few weeks. Break out the gift wrap, and the Nat King Cole,  Christmas will be here before you know it!     Ryan



4 comments:

Marcus Maw said...

Great Post! Love the pink hat-what a cutie! Can't wait to see your tree all decorated. Lindi

jenny said...

it sounds like we are living the same life! toddlers have SO much energy and like you said, every day it's something new. love the pictures, she is such a cutie.

Olson's said...

Ryan - you could be a author as well as an artist! This was fun to read, but I can hardly imagine a girl as sweet as Piper creating all that destruction :) (Just kidding, I have to of those mess-makers myself!)

And even though Piper is too young to understand the true meaning of Christmas I'm sure she will be thrilled by all of the excitement around her!

HAB said...

the part about your church papers smelling like bananas cracked me up! can't wait to see you guys at the brown christmas party!!